If 2020 taught us one thing, it’s that we all should’ve scrapped whatever career plans we might’ve had and set upon creating our own loungewear brand. Serena Rees MBE had the right idea, pre-corona, when launching Les Girls Les Boys in 2017.
Always one to trump the zeitgeist, Rees first made her mark on the fashion industry back in the nineties, with her sensual lace and lingerie label Agent Provocateur. Whilst Rees may have laid off on the libido with Les Girls Les Boys, the gender-fluid brand speaks directly to Gen Z – crafting cool and comfortable underwear, trackies, pyjamas and hoodies that can be worn by anyone, anywhere. Since the beginning of lockdown, Les Girls Les Boys has seen a whopping 1000% increase in sales of its tracksuits alone. The kids are hungry for understated, ungendered loungewear, and Les Girls Les Boys is here to deliver.
Today, 10 Magazine exclusively reveals the brand’s latest campaign film, Free Style. Dubbed a “Love letter to dance”, the film focuses on Les Girls Les Boys latest round of sweats, designed to be shared between loved ones, partners and mates. To mark the release, we grabbed Serena Rees – the undisputed comfort connoisseur – to give us ten tips on keeping cosy this holiday season, the Les Girls Les Boys way.
1. “PJs are an obvious must for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Don’t limit to bed, add heels for lunch and jewels for dinner. Choose our newest rich royal colours for festive impact.”
2. “Fill your home with the scent you love. At Christmas time, I swap my year-round favourites for something festive and nostalgic like the Cire Trudon FIR to be instantly enveloped in the warm, calming pine and cedar fragrance.”
3. “Les Girls Les Boys make the softest seamfree underwear you will ever own and we invite you to layer with 100% organic cotton sweats for the ultimate in cosy bed-to-sofa-to-street style. Choose your own mix of proportions and see how it’s done in our new Free Style campaign film (see above).”
4. “Wrap up in something comfy and cosy and go for a walk between gift-giving and lunch to get that gorgeous winter outdoor glow.”
5. “Decorating the house is so important for me and my family, I say go over the top to create special surroundings that lift the spirits.”
6. “Get up and dance! Line up a playlist and lose your inhibitions. We have a mix of reggae, punk and classic Christmas tunes to get us all dancing together.”
7. “Tap into warm, nostalgic feelings with your own Christmas traditions. Every year I recycle ribbons and wrappings I have collected over the years and get my wrapping done early to get me into the spirit of the season.”
8. “Don’t resist the classic gift of pants and socks, we laugh but they still are the best and we all secretly want them.”
9. “Line up the ingredients for your favourite festive cocktail. We always celebrate with the warming Hix Fix by Mark Hix, it takes us back to big family gatherings at his Soho restaurant.”
10. “Playing games can get heated at Christmas if you’re a competitive group, but it’s all part of the fun and keeps everyone together. We extend our time around the table with a classic game of ‘Who am I?’”
Video directed by Robbie Mailer Howatt, Photography by Maxwell Granger. You can shop the latest pieces from Les Girls Les Boys here.